Empire Online has put out this list of the 50 greatest indie movies. I have not provided links to Netflix or IMDB because, well, I do have a life, you know! I disagree mightily with some of the choices and omissions, as well as the ranking, but that's what makes horse racing.
50. El Mariachi - Just added to my Netflix queue; it comes with the sequel, "Desperado."
49. Run Lola Run - Just added to my Netflix queue.
48. Cube - Horror. I'll pass, thank you.
47. Blood Feast - Ditto.
46. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre - Saw it in college. It was, like, a law or something back then.
45. Mad Max - Saw it, loved it. Didn't know then that Mel was a Bery, Bery Bad Man.
44. Amores Perros - Nina wants me to see this, and I'm tempted because it does star the lovely Gael Garcia Bernal, but I've been warned that it contains scenes of animal cruelty, and I just don't think I can stand it. Update (11/11/05): Nina has convinced me to give it a try—and to just close my eyes during the dogfight sequence—so I've added it to my Netflix queue.
43. Shadows - I hesitated but did end up adding this to my Netflix queue.
42. Swingers - Saw it, loved it.
41. Dead Man's Shoes - Not available on Netflix . . . HUH?
40. The Descent - Also not available on Netflix—don't think I'd be interested, anyhow.
39. The Passion Of The Christ - Na ga da.*
38. Grosse Point Blank - Saw it, loved it.
37. Being John Malkovich - Saw it, loved it.
36. Buffalo '66 - Just added to my Netflix queue.
35. THX-1138 - Just added to my Netflix queue.
34. The Blair Witch Project - I'm tempted to see what all the hype is about, but I think it would be too scary for me.
33. Shallow Grave - Just added to my Netflix queue.
32. Two Lane Blacktop - Just added to my Netflix queue; it's not yet out on DVD, though.
31. Pink Flamingos - Not interested.
30. Sweet Sweetback Baadasssss Song - Not interested.
29. Bad Lieutenant - Just added to my Netflix queue. (Harvey Keitel as an "out-of-control police lieutenant on a collision course with disaster"? Gee, there's a reach.)
28. In the Company of Men - Saw it. Was upset by it. (Note: A few years ago, my friend and former colleague Paul called me up and said, "I'm sorry. You're right. Men are scum." I said, "Why?" His reply: "Go rent 'In the Company of Men.' And, again, I'm sorry.")
27. Dark Star - Not interested.
26. Lost in Translation - Saw it, loved it.
25. Drugstore Cowboy - Saw it, think I liked it but can't exactly recall.
24. Happiness - This was already in my Netflix queue.
23. The Evil Dead - Horror. I'll pass, thank you.
22. Nosferatu - Horror. I'll pass, thank you.
21. Roger And Me - Just added to my Netflix queue, I'm embarrassed to say! (Embarrassed that I hadn't yet seen it, not embarrassed that I'm planning to see it.)
20. Slacker - Just added to my Netflix queue.
19. Lone Star - Saw it, loved it.
18. Withnail And I - Saw it but was disappointed by it. (Sorry, Pia!)
17. City of God - Saw it. Was upset by it.
16. She's Gotta Have It - Didn't see it, probably won't. Again, not available at Netflix . . . WTF?
15. Blood Simple - I feel certain I've seen this, but I can't recall it, so it's in my Netflix queue.
14. Stranger Than Paradise - This was already in my Netflix queue.
13. Memento - Saw it, liked it a lot.
12. Eraserhead - I have a feeling I saw this a hundred years ago but I can't recall it—and I think this a movie you would recall. I don't think I'll see it.
11. Bad Taste - Horror. I'll pass, thank you.
10. Mean Streets - Saw it. Was upset by it. But enjoyed it all the same.
9. Sideways - Saw it, liked it.
8. The Usual Suspects - Saw it, loved it.
7. Sex, Lies, And Videotape - Saw it, loved it.
6. Night of the Living Dead - Horror. I'll pass, thank you.
5. Monty Python's Life Of Brian - Saw it (numerous times!), loved it.
4. Clerks - Saw it, liked it a lot.
3. The Terminator - Saw it, loved it.
2. Donnie Darko - I hesitated but did end up adding this to my Netflix queue. I've vacillated on this one for ages, because I keep hearing that it's a "must see," but I'm worried it will be really scary.
1. Reservoir Dogs - Saw it. Was upset by it. But enjoyed it all the same.
Anyone catching on yet that I'm not big on really scary horror movies?
*This is the best transliteration I can do for Dana Carvey's impersonation of Bush Sr. saying, "Not gonna do it!" Andy and I say "Na ga da!" all the time.