Last year I came to the vaguely depressing realization that my list of New Year's Resolutions hadn't changed substantially from the previous year's list. And guess what? The same is true this year. So I will once again cut and paste the 2004 list, with updates: red for 2005 and green for 2006.
1. Spend an hour a week putting photos in albums. It's time that Julie made it to the albums, don't you think? Once I catch up, I swear I will do every roll of pics the same day I get them, but I'm too anal to start with the new ones until I do all the old ones. I don't think I put away even one photo in all of 2005. Ditto for 2006. Sigh.
2. Frame Stephanie's best kindergarten artwork. Add Pete's to that. Nope. Never happened. Most likely never will.
3. Make duck confit. I still intend to do this! I have a ton of duck fat in the fridge. Still haven't.
4. Go through the boxes in my office that have been there since we moved in four years ago. One of these days. I think I glanced at one of them this year. Yes, I definitely did.
Get rid of my old PowerMac, which hasn't been switched on in over a
year. Any ideas what to do with it? Oh, and my old scanner. Well, I moved them to the basement a month or two ago—that should count for something, right?! And they're still there—anyone know of a charitable organization that takes old Macs?
6. Plan to start considering thinking about whether to contemplate getting some exercise. (Why can't I seem to go back to yoga, which I loved?) Inquiring minds—and lazy bodies—wanna know. OK, this is a big one! 2006 was of course the year I joined a gym! I went two or three times a week for most of the year, except for that big chunk of time in the summer (when I couldn't see) and the whole end of the year (Disney, Thanksgiving, etc.). I plan to start again next week. Look for a new Resolution #6 for 2007!
7. Go through all my clothes and give away the stuff I will never wear again (some of which I haven't worn in almost 10 years as it is). I've done a little of this, but not enough. I did even more, in 2006 and I've started keeping a box in the corner of the bedroom for when I come across a single item that I no longer want—into the box it goes, awaiting my next charitable donation. A new Resolution #7 to come, too, then!
8. Make Andy go through all his clothes and give away the stuff he will never wear again (some of which he hasn't worn in almost 10 years as it is). He never will, and I can't make him. Surprise! He did do some. Still not enough, but it's a start. This isn't really my resolution, so there'll be a new #8 next year too.
9. Try at least one new recipe a week. I'm usually pretty good about this, but I've slacked off lately. I do pretty well, but still not enough. It must be the time of year. I haven't posted many new recipes lately, have I? Look for more in 2007. Really.
10. Go on a date with Andy at least twice a month. (Yay, Brooke!) We're lucky to get out once a month. I still don't know why. And again: Why?